The Lake County Florida School District officially starts back to school on Monday August 19, 2013. To kick off the season, the Wesley Center is proud to be serving the Teacher’s Appreciation Breakfast sponsored by the Chamber on August 15th.
Of course back to school also means back to packing school lunches. This year banish boring and bland with these…
10 Fun and Healthy School Lunch Ideas
- Ants on a Log – Smear a celery stick with all natural peanut butter and top with a few raisins to create the illusion of ants a marching.
- Pancake Sandwich – Take two round pancakes and fill the middle with cream cheese, bananas, and jelly.
- Choco PB&J – Put a few chocolate chips inside the traditional peanut butter and jelly sandwich or go Elvis style and include some sliced bananas.
- Stick-wich aka Sandwich Kabobs – Use a wooden kabob skewer to alternate layers using a bread square, piece of cheese, lunch meat, pickle, piece of lettuce, or other toppings of choice.
- Leftover Pizza – Who doesn’t love cold pizza? If you don’t have leftover pizza you can top a slice of whole-wheat toast or a pita round with some pizza sauce and cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and you have an alternative to the sandwich.
- Hummus with Pita Bread – Hummus is made of garbanzo beans providing important protein. It can be bought in snack size servings or just pack some in a small Tupperware container. Pair with a few wedges of pita bread, baked pita chips, or carrot sticks.
- Show Some Style – Even the most boring sandwich will take on new life when you use a heart or star shaped cookie cutter to give it a new shape. Plus kids will love that the crust has disappeared!
- Pinwheels – Take a wrap, spread with cream cheese, layer with a slice of ham or turkey, and top with cheese. Roll tightly then cut across
- Pasta Salad – Cook a pasta salad mixed with cheese, vegies, ham cubes, or other ingredients. Experiment with macaroni, spaghetti, and rotini noodles and consider oil vinaigrette instead of a mayonnaise based dressing.
- Cheesy Popcorn – Pack air popped popcorn as a healthy alternative to chips. Toss with some grated Parmesan cheese for extra flavor.
Oh and don’t forget the love note. Grab a post-it note or write on a napkin to let your kids know how much they mean to you!
What are your favorite ways to made school lunches a little bit special? Share your ideas below!
Need a place to hold your next school banquet or event?
The Wesley Center provides space rental, chairs, tables, linens, and even catering services. We have helped with school awards banquets, concerts, reunions, boosters, dances, graduations, and fund raisers. Please contact us here if we can help!