One of the most critical decisions in any wedding planning process is selecting and hiring the best wedding caterer for this very special day.
Other important considerations include the type of wedding ambiance that you expect, the guest list, event venue and your budget.
So how do you find and hire a caterer?
Here are 20 questions you will want to ask when selecting catering services for your wedding reception.
1. What do you propose for my wedding expenditure and style? What’s your charge per person?
Often caterers charge on a cost-per-person basis. Therefore, you will need to decide on the number of guests you intend to invite for your wedding event. The caterer may also give you a window of time before you need to make a decision and present your final guest list.
2. Do you have specialty in a specific type of cooking? Can you help me with select the menu and/or incorporate special requests?
Make sure that the type of cuisine fits well with what you expect for your wedding reception. Probably you and your family have a favorite appetizer or entrée. A good caterer will work their Midas touch and incorporate it into the menu.
3. Are there any other weddings or events at the venue on the same day in addition to mine? At what time?
You need assurances that the caterer is able to handle all the business lined up for your wedding event without distractions or hitches.
4. Do you have a valid license of operation?
Other relevant representations include certification in accordance to health department codes and liability insurance. Failure to give this type of information on the part of caterer is a warning sign.
5. How does the cost-per-head charge apply in a buffet style arrangement compared to a sit-down banquet?
6. Is the cost-per-person inclusive of all charges?
The cost-per-head quoted by some caterers is inclusive all the incurred expenses of the staff, linens, rentals and cuisine. Ask whether this applies, so you can carry out price comparisons with other potential caterers.
7. Do you always give a detailed listing of the items included and any extra charges?
Since caterers will charge for whatever service they provide, it is vital that you are aware of all the charges included. An honest caterer will give you a detailed listing inclusive of all charges such as overtime charges, set-up charges and bonuses instead of ambushing you with hidden fees later on.
8. Do you offer any particular extras? At what price?
These may include dinnerware, tables, chairs, linens and serving dishes. If the price is affordable, why not let the caterer take care of it?
9. Do you provide linens as well as dinnerware? Do you have a variety in color and style options?
Caterers offering such extras but at a restricted range, can make arrangements with a wedding equipment vendor and offer you the variety you want but of course at a higher price.
10. Who is in charge of all the catering business on that special day?
Insist that you meet in person with the individual who will take care of your wedding food preparation.
11. How much time can you take to set up and clamp down at the Clermont FL wedding venue?
You want assurances that the caterer is able to work within the allotted time frames stipulated by the Clermont FL wedding reception venue.
12. Do you also prepare wedding cakes? At what price?
13. Do you provide cake cutting and serving services?
This service may be free or included in the catering package cost.
14. Do you offer beverage drinks? Can we come with our own alcohol drinks?
Check out the type of drinks offered by the caterer and whether they go well with your wedding style.
15. Can you setup a vendor food station for the other wedding vendors to also eat (musicians, DJ, photographers? What is the pricing?
16. Can you provide food servings for kids and young ones?
If your guests are mainly families with kids, ask for a cut-rate kid’s food option.
17. Do you offer a contract for your catering services?
Ask for a written contract outlining the terms and conditions to keep everything official and professional.
18. What is your required deposit amount to book your catering services? When do we offset the remaining bill?
19. Can we first sample the cuisine to be served at our wedding reception?
Sample the food before hiring a particular caterer. A good caterer will allow you to sample.
20. Do you have a some past clients we can contact?
Talking with past clients will help you decide whether the catering services are worth hiring or not.
The Wesley Center provides location rental and catering services for wedding receptions in the Clermont FL area. We invite you to contact us to discuss your special event.