It’s finally the big day, your child is turning 16. Between driver’s test and the inevitable panic about your baby growing up, picking a location or theme for the big party can seem daunting. With television shows revolving around the extravagance of Sweet 16 you may be feeling the pressure to make the night perfect. Take a deep breath. Most teens are excited for a night filled with their friends and fun, no extravagance needed! Having trouble coming up with ideas or themes? Here are…
Top 20 Ideas For Sweet 16 Party Themes
1. Color Theme – Keep it simple with a color theme. Pick 2-3 colors and theme the party decorations, invitations and dress code to match. Our favorites? Black and White or Purple and Teal.
2. Color Pop – Ask all your guests to wear black with the guest of honor wearing a bright color.
3. Under the Stars – Make an evening out of it! Throw a backyard party and print out star gazing patterns. Live in the city and can’t see the stars? Decorate with strands of twinkle lights for a nighttime feel.
4. Hollywood – Role out the red carpet! This theme is all about glamor, awards and fame. Have a best-dressed award or make Hollywood Walk of Fame stars. Nothing is too glamorous.
5. Sports – Pick a team or pick a sport and go crazy with it. Make tickets for the invitation, set a dress code to support your team’s colors and make a sports field dance floor.
6. Book Party – With huge franchises like Harry Potter, the Hunger Games and the Game of Thrones why not through a book-themed party.
7. Movie Theme – Gain some inspiration from a favorite movie. Have a costume contest to dress like a character from the Breakfast Club or who has the best Johnny Depp character outfit?
8. Masquerade Ball – Take a page from the Phantom of the Opera and have every one put their best mask forward. Decorate the tables with green, purple and gold with masks hanging around the room.
9. Black Light/Highlighter Party – Bring the black lights and glow-sticks back! Have guests wear a white shirt to be decorated with highlighters. Once its dark, turn on the black light and check out everyone’s creations.
10. Karaoke – Bring your confidence and maybe a set of ear-muffs and let your teen and their friends show off their talent.
11. Decades – This is a classic. Have everyone come dressed as their favorite decade! Play the top hits from each era and let nostalgia ensue.
12. City Theme – The city of love or the city that never sleeps, theme your party around your favorite city. Use French decorations complete with an Eiffel Tower outline for Paris or Japanese letters with a Tokyo skyline.
13. Winter Wonderland – Make the big night a winter wonderland complete with an ice queen or king. Keep the color palette simple with silvers, whites and gold’s and wispy textures. Use twinkle lights to keep with a winter palette.
14. Alice in Wonderland Tea Party – The ultimate whimsical party. Decorate your venue with “drink me” bottles, oversized flowers and mushrooms, out-of-placed items and bold color combinations like purple and red. Nothing is too over-the-top!
15. Charity Party – Themes aren’t you teen’s thing? Or do they have a big heart? Have guests bring canned food, school supplies, or make a donation to your teen’s favorite charity in lieu of gifts – and then dance the night away!
16. An Experience Party – Instead of throwing a party, give your kid an experience. Take them and a group of close friend rock climbing, surfing, whitewater rafting, zip lining, or another fun adventure.
17. Mini-Road Trip – Get out of dodge. Head to the beach for a day or two or check out a local state or national park.
18. Spa Party – Everyone loves getting pampered! Treat the birthday party to a nice day at the spa complete with cucumber eyes and pedicures.
19. Trampoline Party – Because what’s more fun than an entire room made out of trampolines.
20. Scavenger Hunt/Amazing Race – Have the birthday party form teams and send them on a scavenger hunt. Hide fun things around the neighborhood or local park and let the fun begin.
Tips For Selecting The Best Sweet 16 Party Theme
Tip #1 – Listen to the Guest of Honor
Teenagers are notorious for knowing what they want and do not want and vocalizing it. USE IT! In most situations, your 16-years-old will already have an idea of what they want their big day to be like.
Tip #2 – Plan a Budget Ahead of Time
Set a budget and make it non-negotiable. Know how much you can spend ahead of time so there are no surprises later.
Tip #3 – Step Outside the Box
Its 2014! Keep your party theme fresh. Make this a night to remember. If parties aren’t your teen’s thing, think about an experience over a party. Need help planning a Sweet 16 Birthday Party in the Clermont area? The Wesley Center is here to help with hall rental, catering, dance floors, lighting, and more! Just send us a quick inquiry on our facilities rental page.